The PPROM Page
© 1998-2018 Inkan
http://www.inkan.se/pprom

Lisa's PROM Story

By Lisa, Hillsboro, OR United States
PROM at 31 weeks + 1 days. Delivery at 31 weeks + 3 days.
Email: pbearlisa@aol.com
Story added: 2007-08-23
I am currently pregnant after experiencing PROM at 31 weeks with my first pregnancy. During my first pregnancy I was told that everything was going along perfectly, but at 31 weeks my water broke spontaneously. I was admitted to the hospital where they tried to stop my contractions, but were unsuccessful and my son was born weighing 4 lbs. 11.5 ounces. After reading many of the other stories I can say that we were so lucky. As I was only able to be given one dose of steroids before delivering, my son had some difficulty breathing after birth, but was on room air within a few days. However when he was 2 days old we were told that he had an infection and that he had "bleeding in his brain" (grade 3 intraventricular hemorrhage). We were lucky as our son was strong and we knew he would make it, but it was unclear as to how the damage to his brain would affect him in the long run, so I have spent the last 3 years worrying about it. Mhy son is now 3 years old and has shown no delays at all.

I was hesitant to try again as the experience of a having a premature baby is such a rollercoster and I wasn't sure I could go through it again. Finally I decided to give it another try and I am pregnant again. I am now 27 weeks along and my midwife has been keeping a close eye on me knowing my previous history. So 2 days ago I had an ultrasound to check my cervix and they found that my cervix is shortened and they saw some funneling. I was admitted to the hospital where they found I was having contractions. They were able to stop my contractions with medication and sent me home with more medicine to continue taking. Right now it seems they are undecided as to what the next step is. My fetal fibronectin test came back negative which it good news at this point, but I am still so worried. They have put me on bedrest until they can do another ultrasound next week, but I am not sure what happens after that. So I am waiting....